Parents of students at Governors Charter Academy sign a contract to provide 20 hours of volunteer hours for the first child, and 10 hours for all additional siblings. A total of 30 hours is required for families with 2 or more children. It is our belief that the more involved parents are in their child’s education; the better the student will perform academically.
Your child’s teacher can provide you with ideas about the many ways you can assist in the classrooms as well as after school hours in order to earn your volunteer hours. There are many opportunities for parents to assist at the school with or without planning ahead of time. Volunteers must be available to follow instructions given by the teacher and cannot have younger children with them that would require some of their attention. Volunteers should make arrangements for younger children to be cared for at home.
Remember to bring valid identification (drivers license or state issued id) when you are volunteering at a school. Please first stop at the main office to sign in, have your id scanned, and a badge issued to you. All volunteers must be scheduled with a teacher/staff member prior to volunteering or our office staff will identify a location in the school where your services are needed at that time.
Parents are required to log in their own volunteer hours on SIS.
Steps to entering volunteer hours:
- Log in to SIS above.
- Enter your username and password. Use the same username and password for logging in volunteer hours as you do to view your child’s grades.
- Click on your child’s name.
- Scroll down to the middle of the page to the section titled “Volunteer Hours.” Click on [view/edit].
- Click on the title “Give time to” and then choose the teacher’s name for which you are completing the hours.
- Type in a description of the work you did while you were volunteering for these hours [Volunteer Action box].
- Click on the appropriate number of hours you completed. (Round to the nearest half hour) [Hours]
- Click on YES if your hours are already completed; Click on NO if the hours still need to be completed.
- Remember to check ‘completed’ once you have finished volunteering in the capacity you have submitted approved for.
- Check ADD for your volunteer hours to be calculated.
Here is a list of SOME of the things you can volunteer to do:
- Morning Care 7:00-8:00am
- Breakfast assist and clean-up (7:30-8:15)
- Arrival Duty in the a.m. (30 minutes daily)
- Lunch Duty in the cafeteria 10:50-1:30
- Dismissal Duty in the p.m. (3:00-3:30)
- Plan and Support Fall Festival
- Donate “good” uniform tops & bottoms
- Wash & dry uniforms in nurse’s office for “emergencies”
- Participate in our many PTC activities and fundraising events
- Change bulletin boards (each one gets updated by 1st of each month)
- Sort Lost & Found
- Set-up, serve, and clean-up at each Honor Roll Party (quarterly)
- Check PTC bulletin board to assist various committees
- Assist with Class Picture Day
- After School Care assistance (3:00-6:00pm)
- Extra hands in the Art Room (Schedule with art teacher)
- Parent Teacher Council (PTC)